Monday, May 08, 2006

(Almost) all good news

So it's official, changing injection sites does have a profound and positive effect on blood sugar readings.
I had an appointment with the endocrinologist last week and finally, having played phone tag for a few days, I got the results of my blood work. A1c levels are waaaaaaaay down, and this despite the fact that I am taking less insulin. The only thing I really altered was where I stick the needle and I am truly amazed at the change it's made.
I only stopped exclusive stomach injecting at the end of March, so I'm hoping for an even better number next time. My OneTouch UltraSmart meter tells me averages for 7, 14, 28, 60 and 90 days; and the averages for 7, 14 and 28 days are two-thirds of the 60 and 90 day readings.
The only bad news, which I got at the appointment, is that I put on 2 lbs. This didn't seem to worry the endo unduly but is a source of great grief for me as I have gained six pounds since December. So much for "I'm a diabetic and I can eat whatever I want". And to add insult to injury, because we are both watching what we eat, my dearly beloved has lost a corresponding amount in the same period. Bah!

2 comments:

George said...

Good job! I started using different sites too. I hope I lower my a1c as you did. I just had blood drawn on Friday so I should have the results soon.

art-sweet said...

My other half loses weight like she's the wicked witch of the west in a thunderstorm.

I hate her for it, sometimes.