Friday, December 08, 2006

Diabetes-friendly recipes?

I'm surfing the web looking for inspiration for this year's xmas meal when I hit upon this recipe on the dLife website. It's a Kwanzaa Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I'm intrigued because I don't have any Kwanzaa recipes in my repertoire and when I was at school Pineapple Upside Down Cake was the first thing I made in Home Economics class.
I want to see what makes in specific for Kwanzaa and how they adapted a high carbohydrate recipe to fit in with the dLife guidelines of small amounts of sugar and less than 30 grams of carbohydrates per serving. From what I remember of my cake it was pretty high on both counts.
Well, it turns out there is little difference from the recipe I know. It contains both molasses and honey and of course the canned pineapples in fruit juice. My mouth is already puckering with distaste from the excess sweetness. Then I read the nutritional information:

Exchanges per serving: 3 Carbohydrates, ½ fat
Calories 237
Calories from fat 36
Total Fat 4g
Saturated fat 1g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 156mg
Carbohydrates 48g
Dietary fiber 1g
Sugar 29g
Protein 4g

You have to be kidding me. 48g of carbohydrates for a slice of cake? I could have four delicious Whole Foods Chocolate Truffles for half the carbs and 5g less sugar.
Could someone please explain to me what makes this recipe diabetes-friendly?

3 comments:

Lili said...

It probably follows the ADA 60% carbohydrate diet...

Sarah said...

it is probably diabetes friendly with symlin....otherwise, it just isn't

BetterCell said...

Hello Jane...The recipe you have described is not "diabetes-friendly". Because I bake/cook professionally I personally would never add honey and molasses to the same recipe. It is like a woman that wears an excessive amount of make-up. I would never "waste my time" by baking something like this. Go to Whle Foods instead for their delicious chocolate truffles and throw that recipe along w/the cake in the garbage where it belongs.