Friday, March 30, 2007

Weird patterns: the sequel

After the week of bouncing between -50 and 200+ I followed Matt's advice and got up every couple of hours throughout the night to see what was happening to the old blood glucose. I'd expected that it was dropping and then bouncing back high but that wasn't the case. It stayed around 200 the whole time. I definitely didn't want to fiddle with the basal rates now.
Then on the fourth night I tested my blood before bed and it registered 132. I decided I'd had enough mid-sleep finger pricking to last a while and I was just going to forget about it. Number on awakening? 106! And it's been fine ever since.
I don't know what was going on for those 7-10 days, maybe I was stressed, maybe I'd exercised harder than usual, maybe... who knows? It's one of the more difficult aspects of diabetes that there are no absolutes, no norms and often no answers. We struggle for perfection but sometimes we have to settle for just muddling through.

2 comments:

BetterCell said...

Hello Jane......Until there is a "Closed Loop System" where the correct amount of insulin is released all the time, we will never have the perfection that is needed. I still feel however, that T1DM is much more than a Insulin Glucose problem. Yes, complication will occur if bg is out of control, but they might occur as well w/normoglycemia.
C-Peptide is a by-product of insulin production and it functions in repair of the muscular layer of the arteries. So, it is cardio-protective.
It has also been shown in research that C-peptide may also exert beneficial therapeutic effects on diabetic neuropathy.
This is the missing ingredient that should be included along with Insulin for people with T1DM.
There will be a program on DLife this week about the "Closed Loop Sysytem"
This Week on dLife TV:
April 1, 2007@ 7:00PM

Topics: Wired for diabetes control – how technology helps and hinders. Plus, the holy grail of diabetes – the closed loop system. And, a special babysitting service that caters to kids with diabetes.

Special Guests: Dr. Stuart Weinzimer; Kimberly Ross; Chef Michel Nischan.

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Hi Jane, I am back from our vacation in Croatia. Do you remeber how I wrote about terrible hupos after lunch? Well now everything has returned to the normal. Definitely other things than the known exercise, insulin and food factor are affecting our bg values. We just know too little about D! i am glad things have settled down again for you. Today my bg was too high after lunch - and this cannot be explained by food, ewercise, stress, or insulin. It is so hard to accept not knowing why bg values are strange. The one good thing with keeping an accurate diary of all the elements is that you learn you are NOT at fault. There is nothing you can do but test and treat!