Monday, April 03, 2006

Passing grade

Just back from the ophthalmologist where I got the results of last month's visual field test. Visiting the eye doctor is an exercise in torture for me because I get to imagine what it would be like to sit in an 8'x 5' cell with no natural light for years on end. I swear I am not normally claustrophobic but these offices are so tiny I have to hold on to the chair to stop myself running out screaming. By the time the doctor arrives my blood pressure and blood glucose levels are so elevated I can practically feel my small blood vessels dying off. Then the doctor sits down and says he would like to explain my results. Now all I can hear is the blood gushing in my ears. If he has to explain it, it must be bad, no?
Well, no, as it turns out, not bad at all. I have a blind spot on my left eye and a corresponding blind spot on my right. Which is what everyone has, the famous "blind spot". And when they made a nice computer map of my eyes and compared that to a model of people of my age I fell into the "normal" range. Despite the diabetes, despite the thyroid disease. It's so nice to be normal.
And the best news of all is that I don't have to go through any more eye tests for another twelve months.

1 comment:

Lyrehca said...

Congrats on a normal eye test. Woo hoo!