Thursday, July 06, 2006

Well, yeah

A new UK report suggests that Infections may cause Diabetes. No kidding. I thought this was proven years ago. I can't count the number of people with diabetes I've met who have stories like "My sisters caught chicken pox and I got diabetes" or "I thought it was a virus but then I was thirsty all the time".
For me I swear it was the flu. I got a dose of influenza. The real stuff that hits you at the back of the neck with a fifty pound iron weight and leaves you to rot for a week, and then robs you of any energy for the next three weeks. The kind that kills healthy twenty year olds, not the snivelly cold that everyone gets once a year and is incorrectly labeled as flu. I have never felt so bad in my life, and when it was over and I could stand upright again without shaking, I found I could drink and drink and never assuage the thirst.
So I'm really not surprised that infection plays a part and I truly hope that this research helps them to get another step closer to finding a cure, but it seems to me that its taking way longer than it should and I'm not holding my breath here.

1 comment:

Major Bedhead said...

Sometimes those studies are just the epitome of Duh moments.

I swear that infections and illness are what caused O's diabetes to come on. She'd been sick for months before getting diagnosed, with ear infections, strep, bronchitis, all kinds of junk. And then the peeing and sleeping all the time and a diaper rash from hell happened and that was that.

I also know a lot of people who say "Yeah, my kid had thus and so and was then diagnosed." It only makes sense that there's a connection.